The Sahtu Land and Water Board is one of the four Land and Water Boards that were established by the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA).
These boards provide for an integrated and coordinated system of land and water management in the Mackenzie Valley.
Under the Act, the Sahtu Land and Water Board regulates the use of land and water by issuing, amending, renewing, and suspending land use permits and water licences on all crown, Sahtu, and private lands. The Mackenzie Valley Land Use Regulations and the Northwest Territories Waters Act and Regulations are administered by the Board. The five member Board includes two members nominated by the Sahtu Secretariat Incorporated, one member nominated by the Government of the Northwest Territories, and one member nominated by the federal government. All members of the Board, including the Chair, are appointed by the Federal Minister.
Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board
The Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board (MVLWB) is a regulatory authority that originates from Part 4 of the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA). The roles and responsibilities of the MVLWB include:
- Reviewing and making decisions on transboundary projects;
- Ensuring consistent application of the MVRMA up and down the Mackenzie Valley; and,
- Reviewing and making decisions on applications filed in the regions where land claims have not been settled.
The MVLWB meets at least once per year. The Section 103 Panel meets regularly to make decisions respecting applications in the regions where land claims have not been settled or for transboundary applications.
The MVLWB consists of:
- The MVLWB Chairperson, nominated by the majority of the members and appointed by the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC);
- Five members of the Sahtu Land and Water Board;
- Five members of the Gwich’in Land and Water Board;
- Five members of the Wek’èezhìi Land and Water Board; and,
- Four members appointed pursuant to Section 99 of the MVRMA.
All members are appointed by the Minister of INAC, except for the Tlicho nominees to the WLWB, who are appointed by the Tlicho Government. All members appointed are members of the MVLWB.
The MVLWB is supported by a Chairs Committee, an Executive Directors Committee, and staff from the MVLWB Yellowknife office and from the offices of the Regional Boards, as required. The offices of the GLWB, SLWB, and WLWB are located in Inuvik, Fort Good Hope, and Wekweeti respectively. The WLWB has a second office in Yellowknife.
* Appointed pursuant to Section 99 of the MVRMA