Policies and Guidelines
Land and Water Board Documents
(Please note that as a result of devolution, as of April 1, 2014, legistative references have changed. Working Group products will be updated to reflect these changes. Should you have any questions, please contact Angela Plautz (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Patty Ewaschuk (email@example.com).)
- Guidelines for the Closure and Reclamation of Advanced Mineral Exploration and Mine Sites in the Northwest Territories - 2013
- Information for Proponents on the MVLWB's Engagement Requirements
- Engagement and Consultation Policy
- Engagement Guidelines for Applicants and Holders of Water Licences and Land Use Permits
- Standard Land Use Permit Conditions Template
- Standard Process for New Conditions
- Guide to the Land Use Permitting Process
- Late Comment Submission Policy
- Water Use Fee Policy - 2013
- Water and Effluent Quality Management Policy - 2011.
- Guidelines for Developing a Waste Management Plan - 2011
- MVLWB Policy on Transboundary Applications - 2005
- MVLWB Creation and Maintenance of Governance Documents - 2005
- Rules of Procedure, Including Public Hearings - 2004
- Operation and Maintenance Plan Templates *NEW*
- Wastewater (Sewage) Treatment System (WWTS)
- Water Treatment Plant (WTP)
- Spill Contingency Plan
- Solid Waste Facility (SWF)
The following are documents to assist with managing waste (as referenced throughout the SWF template):
- Household Hazardous Wastes (referenced on page 7)
- Drum Disposal Protocol for Municipal Landfill
- Municipal Solid Wastes Suitable for Open Burning
- Guide to Recycling Mercury-Containing Lamps
- Guideline for the Management of Waste Antifreeze
- Guidelines for the Management of Waste Asbestos
- Guideline for the Management of Waste Batteries
- Guideline for the Management of Waste Lead and Lead Paint
- Used Oil and Waste Fuel Management Regulations – Plain Language Guide
- Environmental Guideline for Ozone Depleting Substances (ODSs) and Halocarbon Alternatives
- Document Submission Standards
- Standards for Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Submissions
- Standard Outline for Management Plans
- City of Yellowknife Determination – August 18, 2011
- Frequently Asked Questions – City of Yellowknife Determination
- DRAFT: Guidelines for Closure Cost Estimates
- DRAFT: Guidelines for Adaptive Management – A Response Framework for Aquatic Effects Monitoring.You will find further information on this topic in the following journal article: Linking Environmental Assessment to Environmental Regulation Through Adaptive Management
The following documents were not created by the Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board.
Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs
- Government of Canada. Guidelines for Designing and Implementing Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs for Development Projects in the Northwest Territories. 2009.
Consultation and Engagement
- Government of Canada. Aboriginal Consultation and Accommodation: Updated Guidelines for Federal Officials to Fulfill the Duty to Consult. March 2011.
- Professional Developers Association of Canada (PDAC). E3Plus: A Framework for Responsible Exploration: Principles and Guidance. 2009.
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP). Industry Practices: Developing Effective Working Relationships with Aboriginal Communities. 2006.
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP). Guide for Effective Public Involvement. 2003.
- New: Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Fish Screen Design Criteria for Flood and Water Truck Pumps
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC, NT Region). Guidelines for Designing and Implementing Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs for Development Projects in the Northwest Territories: Recommended Procedures for Developing Detailed Designs for Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs. 2008.
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC, NT Region). Spill Contingency Guidelines. 2007.
- CCME. Canadian Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life. Site-Specific Guidance. 2003.
- Government of the Northwest Territories. Environmental Guideline for Contaminated Site Remediation
- Government of the Northwest Territories. Guidelines for the Planning, Design, Operations and Maintenance of Modified Solid Waste Sites in the Northwest Territories
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC, NT Region). Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC) Guidelines
Mine Closure and Reclamation
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC, NT Region). Mine Site Reclamation Policy for the NWT. 2002.
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC, NT Region). Cold Regions Cover System Design Technical Guidance Document (MEND Report 1.16.5c)
- Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board (MVRB). Environmental Impact Assessment Guidelines. 2004.
- MVRB. Socio-Economic Impact Assessment Guidelines. 2007.
- MVRB. Guidelines for Incorporating Traditional Knowledge in Environmental Impact Assessment. 2005.
- Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Center. Archaelogical Guidelines for Developers
Land Use Planning
- Nành’ Geenjit Gwitr’it T’igwaa’in (Working for the Land), 2011
- Sahtu Land Use Plan
- Sahtu Land Use Plan Implementation Guide
- Tlicho Land Use Plan
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC, NT Region). Northern Land Use Guidelines: Northwest Territories Seismic Operations.